What is classed as Nursing Home Negligence in Macon?
Published in nursing home abuse on August 20, 2018.
Nursing home abuse is classified as the physical, mental and/or psychological harm a patient suffers at a nursing home or assisted living facility. Physical abuse is classed as violence such as hitting a nursing home resident. It may be physical neglect such as causing a patient to develop bed sores due to lack of care.
Mental abuse occurs when a nursing home employee or staff verbally abuses them by saying harmful things. It could be withholding medication from the patient too. In fact, nursing home abuse can occur in many different ways such as:
- Frequent or unexplained injuries
- Poor hygiene
- Being overly medicated
- Sexual abuse and/or assault
- Injuries caused by lack of restraints or restraints that are too tight.
- Failing to prevent a patent from falling
Types of Nursing Home Neglect
Nursing home neglect varies depending on the situation. It is a type of nursing home abuse. There are four primary types of nursing home neglect. They are:
- Social or emotional neglect: This type of nursing home abuse occurs when a patient is repeatedly left alone or alone by the nursing home staff.
- Medical neglect: Medical neglect occurs when a nursing home fails to adequately provide, prevent or attend to medical concerns.
- Personal hygiene neglect: Nursing home abuse also involves a lack of adequate assistance with hygiene practices like bathing, laundry and brushing a patient’s teeth.
- Basic needs nursing home neglect: “Basic need” is a term used to describe things like food, clothing, and shelter. They are basic necessities for any individual. When a nursing home fails to provide a patient with reasonable water, food or a clean and safe living environment, it’s considered neglect.
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect May Result in a Lawsuit
Whether a patient is paying for the nursing home or it is paid for by Medicare program, they have a right to safe living conditions. If they are not receiving standard care, a lawsuit can be filed against the nursing home.
Getting Help from a Macon Nursing Home Negligence
If your loved one is in an assisted-living facility or nursing home, always watch for signs of abuse and neglect. If you believe your loved one is suffering from nursing home neglect or abuse, you have a legal right to do something about it. It’s advisable to contact Macon police and the Department of Human Services immediately. Then, contact an experienced Macon nursing home abuse lawyer like those at Nelson & Smith, too. We will work on your behalf to determine the best legal course of action. For instance, we will file a lawsuit on your family’s behalf to obtain compensation for the neglect or abuse your loved one suffered. We will also contact the nursing home regarding the abuse. This is something you should never do. Never confront a nursing home administrator about the neglect or abuse. It may jeopardize your loved one’s health and any legal recourse you have. Contact us today to help you get the justice your loved one deserves.
For more information please visit our site.