Common Injuries After Getting Thrown from a Motorcycle
Published in Motorcycle Accident on December 7, 2020.
Injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents are often severe, especially if the motorcyclist is thrown from their bike. Some injuries are permanent, and even those that aren’t can take a long time to recover from and involve expensive medical bills. An experienced attorney can help injured individuals recover compensation.
Although riding a motorcycle is often enjoyable and economical, it is not without the risk of serious injury. The Insurance Information Institute (III) reports that in 2017 there were 89,000 injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents alone. For every 100 million miles traveled, there were 440 injuries. Motorcycle accidents are on the decline, but they still happen and are prone to causing many different types of injuries ranging from scratches and bruises to spinal cord injuries and severe head injuries. Injured motorcyclists often benefit from hiring Macon motorcycle accident lawyers to recover compensation for their damages.
Thrown from a Motorcycle: Common Injuries
Being thrown from your motorcycle causes some of the most traumatic of all motorcycle injuries. When you are thrown, your body has little to no protection and is completely exposed to everything around it. Your body can hit various surfaces on the ground as well as debris and other objects. A seasoned Macon motorcycle accident lawyer can help you seek compensation for your injuries. The most common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI): Traumatic brain injuries are among the most severe injuries a motorcyclist can sustain in an accident and may require a long recovery. If not treated immediately or appropriately, they can be fatal.
- Spinal cord injuries (SCI): Spinal cord injury victims can be left with various degrees of paralysis that require hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical care in the first year alone. Victims can suffer from numbness, nerve pain, difficulty breathing, and problems with motor function.
- Road rash: Most motorcyclists who are thrown from their bikes will experience road rash injuries that occur when they slide across the pavement. Road rash can cause severe skin damage and disfigurement. If there is damage to the deepest skin layers, victims will need to undergo skin grafts and reconstructive surgery.
- Disfigurement: Several different types of injuries can result in disfigurement and scarring, such as burns, amputations, and severe road rash. Injured individuals might experience low self-esteem and depression. The reconstructive surgery and therapies they need in order to heal can be expensive.
- Internal organ damage: The impact and forces motorcyclists undergo when thrown from their bike frequently cause internal organ damage such as liver damage and internal bleeding. Serious and life-threatening complications can follow. Common injuries include pneumothorax, aorta aneurysms, ruptured spleens, and internal bleeding.
- Broken bones: When someone is thrown from their motorcycle in an accident, their bones can be shattered beyond repair. Multiple surgeries and months of missed work may follow. Severe fractures may require an amputation of an extremity.
- Psychological injuries: Motorcycle accidents are traumatic events that can cause PTSD, depression, and anxiety. Those suffering from these injuries might need compensation to pay for therapies, medications, and emotional pain and suffering. A skilled Macon motorcycle accident lawyer can help them recover compensation from the at-fault party.
Were You Thrown from Your Motorcycle? Call a Macon Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
After a motorcycle accident, know that you are not alone; a Macon motorcycle accident lawyer can explain the legal options that may be available for your specific claim. Call Nelson & Smith Attorneys at Law at (478) 746-1468 or contact us online today and schedule a free motorcycle injury case review. Time is of the essence as state laws limit how long you have to take legal action.