Request Your Free
We assess the strengths and weaknesses of each case and will help you determine if you have a case.
Milledgeville Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Even when wearing a helmet, motorcyclists are highly vulnerable to serious injuries and death. The National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that motorcyclists are 27 times more likely to die in an accident than drivers and occupants of other vehicles. If you or a loved one suffer from these accidents, it is very important to contact an expert Milledgeville motorcycle accident lawyers.
As per the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, 173 motorcyclists died on the state’s highways in 2016. The numbers for 2017 are inconclusive, but 207 motorcyclists are believed to have died in that year, and 264 are predicted to lose their lives in 2018. Expect the number of injuries to be well over 2,000. Sure, some of those fatalities and injuries are attributable to mistakes and bad decisions made by riders, but a large percentage of the crashes are based on negligent drivers of other vehicles.
The Visibility Factor
When a motorcycle is on the road, it presents a low and narrow profile, even if it has its lights on. They’re simply not as visible as other vehicles around them in traffic, and other motorists often don’t see them. After an accident, it’s not unusual for a motorist who caused an accident to say that he or she either didn’t see the motorcycle until it was too late or didn’t see it at all.
The Hurt Report
Although published in 1981, the “Hurt Report” remains the most comprehensive motorcycle accident study ever conducted in the United States. H.H. Hurt was a professor at the University of Southern California Traffic Safety Center. Hurt and two assistants were retained by the NHTSA to identify cause factors of motorcycle accidents. Here are some of their findings:
- When motorcycle accidents involved a motorcyclist and another vehicle, the driver of the other vehicle was determined to have failed to yield the right-of-way to the motorcyclist about 67 percent of the time.
- The failure of other drivers to see a motorcycle in traffic is the predominate cause of motorcycle accidents.
- The most frequent failure to yield the right-of-way accident configuration is a driver of another vehicle turning left in front of an oncoming motorcycle at an intersection.
- In nearly half of all accidents between motorcycles and other vehicles, the other driver’s vision is obstructed by lights, glare or other vehicles.
- Motorcyclists typically have less than two seconds to attempt to avoid a crash.
Some Common Motorcycle Crash Injuries
Injuries to motorcyclists are typically far more severe than those suffered by drivers or passengers of other motor vehicles. Here are some examples of common motorcycle crash injuries that Milledgeville Motorcycle Accident Lawyers might see. Any of these injuries can require multiple surgeries:
- Multiple fractures, especially in the hips and lower extremities.
- Traumatic brain injuries resulting in neurological deficits.
- Traumatic spinal cord injuries resulting in paraplegia or quadriplegia.
- Facial fractures and severe dental injuries.
- Damage to internal organs.
- Severe road rash resulting in infection.
Proving Liability and Damages
Here’s how retaining Milledgeville Motorcycle Accident Lawyers from Nelson & Smith to represent you in a motorcycle accident operates heavily to your advantage. You’re going to need a thorough investigation of the crash that leaves no stone unturned. That ordinarily includes photos of the motorcycle and the vehicle that hit it, photos of the scene of the accident, the investigating police officer’s observations, statements from any occurrence or post occurrences and any traffic or security camera footage of the crash. After that, we retrieve all of your medical bills, records and reports, and we isolate the nature and extent of your injuries and focus on any permanency and the need for any future treatment. Armed with all of the relevant evidence in the case, we’ll create a settlement package and forward it to the opposing insurer along with our settlement demand. If that insurer ignores our demand or is otherwise unreasonable, we can exercise our alternatives in the Baldwin County courts. Doing so will force a resolution of the case.
If you were injured in a motorcycle crash in or around Milledgeville, or if a family died in such a crash, contact us as soon as possible to arrange for a free consultation and case evaluation. You’ll be able to meet with experienced and effective Milledgeville Motorcycle Accident Lawyers from our offices.