Request Your Free
We assess the strengths and weaknesses of each case and will help you determine if you have a case.
Macon Speeding Accidents Lawyers
Macon Georgia Speeding Accidents Attorneys
Georgia’s comparative negligence laws bar an individual from receiving compensation if he or she is more than 50% at fault for an accident. Factors that typically contribute to a high percentage include drinking and driving, distracted driving, and issues like speeding.
When the latter contributes to your accident, work with a qualified personal injury attorney to ensure you are adequately and thoroughly represented.
The Pervasiveness of Speeding Accidents
In 2012, 30% of all fatal traffic accidents involved speeding. This is documented as a particular issue for younger drivers, and it can be especially disastrous when it involves a motorcycle or cyclist. Furthermore, nearly half of documented speeding incidents in 2012 involved driving while intoxicated – above the .08 g/dL blood alcohol limit. In such cases, your legal team will extensively investigate the accident to ensure you are adequately compensated for the other driver’s irresponsibility.
Documenting an Incident
Experiencing a collision can be terrifying, but the moments that follow determine the success of a future personal injury claim. Start by:
- Calling the police. Law enforcement officers will collect your statement and fill out a police report. This is a crucial bit of information for your claim.
- Getting medical attention if needed. If you or the other driver are injured, get medical attention immediately.
- Exchanging information. Get the other drivers’ contact info, including insurance data and license plate numbers.
- Contacting your insurance company. Let your insurance know about the incident as soon as you are able.
Once these safety and legal precautions are taken, you can start building and safeguarding your case. Do this by speaking to witnesses and retaining their contact information, taking pictures, and carefully documenting future medical treatment. Lastly, practice some discretion. Many a case unwinds due to carelessness on social media or improperly describing the accident to an opposing insurance company (or even your own health care provider).
What You Can Recover
Collisions are expensive; $242 billion in damages were reported from traffic accidents in 2010. The majority of that (82%) accounts for medical costs and loss of productivity – the awards you pursue through a personal injury claim. Naturally, insurance and health care companies will do everything they can to pay out as little as feasible. Your Macon Speeding Accidents Lawyers, on the other hand, will advise you on how to proceed so your case is well documented and protected, ensuring the best possible results. You may recover:
- Medical expenses, including hospitalization and ER fees, the cost of long-term treatments like physical therapy, and any equipment related to the accident (i.e., crutches, braces, and wheelchairs). Depending on your symptoms, medical specialists may recommend surgeries or forecast medical care down the road. The estimated cost of those services may also be covered through a personal injury claim.
- Mental suffering. Car accidents routinely involve some form of mental anguish, whether it is fear of driving again, post-traumatic stress disorder, or grief – especially in wrongful death cases. Competent personal injury lawyers understand how the state accounts for this distress, and your reimbursement can include these damages.
- Work-related costs. This can include lost wages, loss of earning capacity (the inability to earn the same amount or progress in your field), and any vocational retraining needed to return to work following a period of recovery.
These are just a few examples of the damages accident and injury attorneys may pursue. Your legal counselor will analyze your specific case, estimate negligence, comparative fault percentage, and past earnings, and do everything in his or her power to ensure you are fairly compensated. To schedule a free consultation and begin this process, reach out to the team of Macon Speeding Accidents Lawyers at Nelson & Smith Attorneys at Law. Put our years of experience and personal injury law expertise to work for you. We serve Middle Georgia in Cordele, Tifton, Hawkinsville, Dublin, Warner Robins and Milledgeville.