Hawkinsville Wrongful Death Lawyers
Losing a loved one is heartbreaking. And when their passing is deemed wrongful death, it can be even more devastating. Wrongful death is defined as a death caused by another person’s negligence or misconduct. Wrongful death lawsuits, also known as tort lawsuits, are classified as personal injury suits. They allow the plaintiff to receive monetary compensation for injuries inflicted by the defendant’s infraction.
Common wrongful death causes are:
- Car accidents — 300,000 auto-related fatalities take place yearly. Among other factors, these tragedies can correlate to road imperfections, distracted driving or car defects.
- Truck accidents — These accidents may result from mechanical defects, truck company negligence or driving with an oversized load.
- Medical malpractice — When medical professionals are inattentive, they may misdiagnose, make surgical errors or even cause birth injuries.
- Workplace accidents — These wrongful death claims can originate from manufacturing accidents, repetitive motions or railroad worker injuries.
- Defective products — These harmful articles span a variety of items, from pharmaceuticals to children’s toys to toxic foods and packaging.
- Poisoning — The opioid epidemic has played an unfortunate role in wrongful deaths. When a physician negligently prescribes these — or any other drugs — a wrongful death action could result. A wrongful death action may also be taken against pharmaceutical manufacturers.
The factors necessary for a successful wrongful death case are:
- Death of a human being.
- Death caused by someone’s negligence.
- Survival of family who are experiencing monetary loss resulting from the death.
- Appointment of a representative for the deceased’s estate.
If this type of tragedy has struck you, Hawkinsville Wrongful Death Lawyers can help put the shattered pieces of your life back together. Nelson & Smith, compassionate and tenacious personal injury attorneys, will fight to get you justice and the settlement you deserve.
They’re intent on doing their part to lower the statistics that paint a grim picture of wrongful death cases. These figures are alarming because they tragically underscore that these deaths could have been prevented if not for carelessness and negligence. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), in 2005 the State of Georgia tallied costs for automobile accidents and wrongful deaths at $1.5 billion. Other disturbing statistics abound:
- Medical Malpractice — Each year, more than 90,000 US deaths are caused by medical malpractice. Seven-thousand of these result from prescription mistakes. Malpractice encompasses botched or omitted diagnosis, surgical errors or subpar care. According to the National Academy of Medicine (NAM), a staggering one in five medical blunders are serious or fatal.
- Unsafe Premises — According to the CDC, 19,656 slip-and-fall fatalities happened in 2005. Conditions responsible for these deaths included slippery walkways, unprotected stairways and missing safety signs.
- Traumatic Brain Injury Fatalities — This type of injury can be caused by a slip-and-fall, medical errors or auto accidents. The Brain Injury Association of America (BIAA) states that over 50,000 people die due to a traumatic brain injury.
The shock of sudden, violent death of a loved one has catastrophic effects upon the survivors. They may be afflicted with depression, anxiety or PTSD . Often, they no longer believe they’re in a safe world. They seek a reason, someone to blame; they may also be consumed with anger, rage, and murderous obsessions. Their bereavement can trigger emotional withdrawal, apathy, hopelessness and suicidal ideations.
Monetarily, the family may take hard financial hits. These can include lost wages and loss of future income, lost goods and services, funeral and burial expenses. The trauma of the event can plummet the survivor into an incapacitating sorrow that can put them out of work for weeks or even months.
When you’re the survivor of a wrongful death, life suddenly feels like a crushing ordeal. If you are in this trying situation, professional legal representation should be retained to help carry your load. Nelson & Smith, Hawkinsville Wrongful Death Lawyers will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you through this painful time and overwhelming legal process.
We have a proven track record: representation of thousands of clients and recovery of millions of dollars in compensation and benefits for personal injury victims in Middle Georgia. Contact us and call at 479-217-7174 so we can take the first legal steps toward helping you heal.