The Possible Harm Caused by Drivers Who Run Red Lights
Published in Car Accidents on February 7, 2020.
When you drive, you accept the responsibility of doing so safely, which includes adhering to the rules of the road and following all traffic lights and signals. Drivers who choose to run red lights make our roadways far more dangerous for everyone on them. In fact, running red lights is closely associated with some of the most serious traffic accidents out there. If you’ve been injured by a driver who was running a red light, you need an experienced Macon car accident attorney on your side.
Red Light Statistics
According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, accidents that involve running a red light are exceedingly dangerous and are on the rise. The statistics include:
- In 2017 (the most recent year for which crash data is available), 939 people were killed in accidents that involve running a red light.
- 2017 represents a 10-year high for traffic fatalities that involve running a red light.
- The number of traffic fatalities that involve running a red light in 2017 was 28 percent higher than the number in 2012.
Driving through Red Lights
Traffic lights are obviously put in place to help keep traffic flowing smoothly and safely. When motorists take matters into their own hands and blow through red lights when they so choose, any number of dangerous accidents can ensue. There are, however, certain types of accidents that are most likely to occur, including:
- T-Bone Accidents – T-bone accidents are so-called because they involve a car slamming into the side of another car – much like a “t.”. The impact of such an accident can lead to extremely serious injuries – especially for the driver or passenger on the side of the car that’s t-boned.
- Rear-End Accidents – When a driver chooses to run a red light, he or she is generally picking up speed (or already speeding in the first place). When a driver shoots through an intersection at top speed, he or she has little room to slow down if the traffic ahead suddenly slows or comes to a stop. Dangerous rear-end accidents are often the result.
- Left-Turn Accidents – Intersections mark the spots where traffic coming from all directions converges. Some of the vehicles in intersections are taking legal left turns in accordance with traffic lights. When drivers ignore red lights and speed through intersections, they often imperil those making legal left turns.
If a Driver Who Runs a Red Light Leaves You Injured, an Experienced Macon Car Accident Attorney Can Help
Drivers who fail to stop at red lights endanger everyone with whom they share the roads. The formidable car accident attorneys at Nelson & Smith Attorneys at Law – proudly serving Macon – are committed to aggressively advocating on your behalf for the compensation to which you are entitled. Our formidable legal team is here to help, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at (478) 746-1468 for more information today.