Common Causes of School Slip and Falls
Published in Premises liability,school safety,slip and fall accidents on September 24, 2019.
When you send your children off to school each day, you expect them to learn in an environment that’s safe for them. If instead, your child is injured, it is very upsetting. The fact is, however, that schools and school grounds can be rife with risk factors related to slip and fall accidents. If your child has been injured in a slip and fall at school, you need an experienced Macon slip and fall attorney on your side.
Slip and Fall Accidents
Kids tend to fall – especially the younger ones – but if your child falls at school because of a hazard that the school failed to address, it’s a different story. Slip and falls can be caused by any number of factors, but there are some common school-safety issues associated with these accidents, including:
- Outdoor walkways, gathering areas, and playgrounds that are made slippery by wet, icy, and/or snowy weather that isn’t properly addressed
- Uneven, cracked, buckled, or otherwise dangerous outdoor walkways, gathering areas, or playgrounds
- Poorly manufactured, worn, or damaged playground equipment
- Debris-strewn outdoor areas
- Entryways made slippery by ice, snow, or rain – or debris – that’s tracked inside
- Worn, frayed, bunched, torn, highly polished, or otherwise dangerous flooring
- Inadequate – and thus dangerous – lighting in hallways, classrooms, bathrooms, and/or stairwells
- Poorly marked steps
- Stairwells with damaged, dangerous, or missing handrails
- Debris-strewn hallways or classrooms
- Unchecked cords and wires that act as tripping hazards
Children can trip over nearly anything. As such, their schools are responsible for maintaining safe and hazard-free premises.
Schools are responsible for taking reasonable steps to keep their buildings and grounds safe from hazards that could lead to slip and fall accidents. This involves a wide range of actions, including:
- Conducting frequent and thorough training sessions to help ensure that all employees know how to correctly identify risk factors, know to whom to report risk factors, and know what warning technique to employ as temporary measures until safety issues can be thoroughly resolved
- Being vigilant regarding potential slip and fall hazards, such as spills in the lunchroom, objects left in hallways and other student walkways, broken handrails, ripped carpeting, and much more
- Reporting all potential dangers to the appropriate authorities
- Staying on top of all spills, damp floors, and other slipping hazards – and implementing a warning device until all potential dangers can be removed or otherwise rectified
If Your Child’s Been Injured in a Slip and Fall at School, Consult with an Experienced Macon Slip and Fall Attorney Today
If your child has been hurt in a slip and fall accident at school, you’re naturally very upset by the situation. Such injuries can lead to extensive physical, emotional, and financial damages and should never be discounted. The experienced and compassionate slip and fall attorneys at Nelson & Smith Attorneys at Law in Macon, Georgia, are committed to skillfully advocating for the compensation to which you are entitled. We’re here to help, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at (478) 746-1468 for more information today.